Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Orange Kugelhupf

Proper name should be: Gugelhupf, but it is still tasty. I found the recipe in the cookbook I got for Christmas from J&J. I needed to use up some of our many oranges (too sour for the morning juice).
[I just wrote this post and then accidentally erased it, so here is the brief version.]
Cakes. I am not the best baker of cakes, but this one turned out pretty well. Once I made a cake for my mom's birthday, and it stuck to the pan, so it was in pieces. My sisters and I decorated it with green frosting and strawberries - an over-the-strawberry-hill cake! In this case, I substituted half the butter with applesauce and omitted the orange blossom water (not that I even know what it is), and since my Gugelhupf pan is in Austria (somewhere in a box in JK's aunt's old farmhouse), I used an angelfood cake pan. But it came out well, if a bit dry. So JK decided to try a fancy food photo shoot. Unfortunately we had already eaten some. :)

Brief Burli Update (BBU):
Night-weaning appears to be working. After his final going-to-sleep nursing around 11, he slept through the night, only waking once to cuddle (no asking to nurse and no crying!), and then woke at 6:30 or so for morning nursing, and then he went back to sleep until his usual 7:30. Hopefully he will continue this. And hopefully he will sleep in his own bed by the time he is 8 or 9. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Can I hatecha just a lil' bit? Just kidding--that is seriously great. I wish, wish, wish I was still nursing. Of course, I wish just a little more that my boy hadn't woken up 7+ times last night. But hey, can't have everything. At least I can now write a paper on the nuances of Sandra Boynton's work, LOL.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Ok, you don't have an email addy on your profile, so WHERE did you go to HS? I went to South Meck, but I graduated in 1991, prolly waaaaay before you. My sister graduated in 1995, though...