Saturday, March 11, 2006

Most Emailed NYT Article

I was just purusing the NYTimes and came across this article, "For a Muslim who says Violence Destroys Islam, Violent Threats," which was the most emailed article of the last 24 hours. The article quotes a Syrian-American woman who writes about Islam and reform, as saying, "I had to look for another god," and states that she no longer practices Islam. ""I am a secular human being," she said", yet in the title of the article, she is specifically called a Muslim. In my opinion, this article (and the fact that this woman should be granted so much attention) is questionable.

In some ways she should not be called a Muslim, just as someone who says that they no longer practice Christianity is not normally called a Christian. However, she grew up in the Muslim world, was a practicing Muslim and most likely considers herself a "cultural Muslim" (already tricky terms). She is rightly upset about the use of terror used in the name of religion, but she is now critiquing Islam from a non-religious, even apostasic [is that a word?], prespective. The article points out that she is praised by Islamic reformers and the American jewish Congress has asked her to speak at their conference, but for her voice to carry any weight among true believers (of any religion), I would think that she would have to be one herself - or she needs to have an academic background in this field. Yes, it is impossible to parse out the intertwined strands of religion and "culture" in the Middle East, but by questioning religious teachings (after rejecting them) rather than looking within Islam itself for guidance (there are historical, theological methods by which teachings are interpreted or translated), she is not presenting a "message" but a condemnation, and as such, her message should not be applauded by non-informed Westerners.

Okay, next time I will just post pictures of Burli and not get up on a soapbox. Or at least spend a little more time thinking before writing. But I might be tempted to write some more, because I need practice thinking through current events and issues that resonate with my research. And I need to practice using them "big words" cuz I ain't too savvy at that!

Oops, now I just found an exept from the transcription of her interview on Al-Jazeera. Yikes. I am surprised that they bothered interviewing her. In case anyone cares to read on, I will post it from http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1050


Wafa Sultan: The clash we are witnessing around the world is not a clash of religions, or a clash of civilizations. It is a clash between two opposites, between two eras. It is a clash between a mentality that belongs to the Middle Ages and another mentality that belongs to the 21st century. It is a clash between civilization and backwardness, between the civilized and the primitive, between barbarity and rationality. It is a clash between freedom and oppression, between democracy and dictatorship. It is a clash between human rights, on the one hand, and the violation of these rights, on other hand. It is a clash between those who treat women like beasts, and those who treat them like human beings. What we see today is not a clash of civilizations. Civilizations do not clash, but compete.
[...]
Host: I understand from your words that what is happening today is a clash between the culture of the West, and the backwardness and ignorance of the Muslims?
Wafa Sultan: Yes, that is what I mean.


I found it amusing that she uses language straight from George W.'s speeches (freedom vs oppression, etc.), yet a shame that I have wasted my time reading and writing about her and her ideas, which are clearly insulting and offer no intelligent critique.

1 comment:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

People will applaud whoever parrots the things they want them to say, so it shouldn't be a surprise that she's getting props from someone.

But I know a LOT of Jews who claim to be secular jews--do you that's possible? Do you think it's possible to be a secular Muslim in the same way?