Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Just a bit off the top


Well, it was on the list of things to do today. But really, I only took about a centimeter off the bangs and did the hairdresser lifting up and trimming thing on a few parts that looked really frizzy. Last week I had to cut out a little dreadlock. I am not sure how that got there since I spray him down with detangler every morning and attack his mop with a brush. He doesn't mind as much anymore, but he still won't let me give him a ponytail.
Right before he drew this picture (you can see the scissors in the top left), I drew one of him and added hair down to the ears, prompting him to cry and sob, "That looks like a girl!" Because apparently boys you are supposed to draw with the hair sticking straight up.
Today we hit one of the neighborhood thrift stores where we know most of the clerks and found a baseball mitt for a dollar, a pair of rain boots, a Hawaiian shirt, a down vest for winter, 3 books (I tend to buy Dr. Seuss and other hardbacks - today I found a book of Sendak posters!), and another home-sewn shirt for JT. And 4 small salad plates that match the 2 dinner plates I bought there a month ago. I figure, eventually I will find some more pieces of that pattern, since someone seems to be intent on breaking dishes around here. (Er, we have all broken our share!)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

just jenn said...

good finds @ the shop. baseball & swimming at burli's place all summer long. :)

it sometimes seems strange how soon (or even just how) our culture's gender-stereotypes appear? there is certainly some good from a common identity, but there is also that risk that anything different gets labeled as wrong.