Sunday, May 06, 2007

Summertime Already?


It was a beautiful sunny day today, so we enjoyed breakfast, lunch and supper outside. We set up JT's little pool, and although the water never warmed up quite enough, he enjoyed splashing around. Last night we went to our first fundraiser for JT's school. The first of many, I suppose. We also had our once-yearly weekend cleanup duty, so we spent the afternoon cleaning the outdoor area (it took an hour to get the little plastic paint holders clean) and combined it with our maintainence committee duties (new legs on one water table and sanding and painting another). And Wednesday I am scheduled to co-op in the afternoon (12-4). JT can stay, and I make the snacks for the kids, clean the bathrooms and vacuum right as they are leaving. While it is easier just to pay the extra not to co-op, it is fun to get involved and get to know the kids and the teachers. JT is often talking about "Flossi" (at first I thought I misunderstood the name, but that is what the boy is called), an older boy, and now I can put faces with most of the names.
Yesterday's fundraiser was a flop for us: we had hoped JT would stay in the school with the "babysitters" (2 of the younger teachers), where they were having pizza and watching a movie. But he would have none of that. Instead he wanted to come with us, and then he ran around and acted crazy with the other kids, but he also wanted JK to "play" too. We didn't win anything at the silent auction - apparently I didn't have a good strategy for bidding. And JK didn't talk to a single person he didn't already know.
I, on the other hand, did enjoy talking with the dean of international education, and the another woman from the int'l center, who had written me while I was in Vienna. She comes from a Jewish Viennese family, most of whom perished in the concentration camps, so her story is very touching, and I enjoyed hearing her perspectives on situation of Muslims living in Europe today.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Steph said...

What kind of things did they have at the silent auction?

It seems like both you and JT are enjoying the co-op preschool. Is Flossi a nickname for a longer name?

Sometimes I wish I had more of a part time job. Oh well.

I did leave early yesterday so I got more of a glipse of what goes on during the day at the daycare. LT was having his "lesson" with the Auntie. She holds him in her lap and helps guide his hand so he learns how to color where he wants and helps him trace his name. He seemed to enjoy it even though I would go with free color. :D

just jenn said...

do most of the parents do co-op or elect to pay the extra? it does seem like a good way to get to know the kids, although it would seem funny to me to go somewhere else to vacuum as that is one thing i don't do at home!