Monday, May 03, 2010

We're Around

Hi there! Guess who can climb up various things? (And has 4 teeth.)



Last week Mr. Burli had to go to Vancouver for work (or for the Spring Olympics, as JT liked to say), so the boys and I kept ourselves busy. We went downtown to the county admin building. It was built around the same time as our house and has some amazing art deco details.



 


JT practiced making his own chicken nuggets.



Our passion fruit vine bloomed. I transplanted it to the front to the only column that gets sun. It seems to like it there so far...



The kids also helped me make cinnamon rolls the previous weekend.



We used the Pioneer Woman's recipe (halved) and made three pans. One we baked Friday evening to test (and the next mornign I found an empty pan in the sink...), one we refrigerated and baked the next morning when some friends came over for breakfast and the other is still in the freezer, waiting the most opportune moment. These rolls were DELICIOUS! There was a slight incident in which I asked JT to sprinkle the cinnamon on while I checked on something in the other room - when I came back he had made little mountains of cinnamon everywhere... apparently he didn't realize you could open the cinnamon with a sprinkle top and not have to pour it. We scooped some off, no problem. We also used less melted butter than the recipe called for, and I think we could have easily cut it back more, since some of ours poured off the dough and onto the flour.



Yum!

And just for remembering-sake: in April we made strawberry jam (twice, someone ate all of the first batch already and the second is disappearing rapidly), rhubarb compote (twice as well, since the first time it was eaten in a matter of minutes; the second time I froze 2 jars), we harvested carrots and lettuce from the garden, attempted to grow some cucumbers and more carrots from seed (not much going on there), the sunflowers started popping up, a volunteer pumpkin/squaash emerged in the front bed, I planted a pepper and some cilantro from starts, we blew up the swimming pool once, had the Austrian friends over, I went to a kindergarten meeting, it rained some, and I don't know what else.

4 comments:

kim said...

looove those cinnamon rolls.. they are dangerous :)

Anonymous said...

It's lunch time and I am reading about all that wonderful food. My mouth is watering! Your little helpers are growing us so fast.
Love, Gt/gma

Steph said...

Oh my goodness, he can climb already? Watch out!

Does a passion fruit vine grow passion fruit?

How was the kindergarten meeting?

Anonymous said...

your boys are really growing up. i can't believe what a different a hair cut makes.

the passionflower is beautiful...i've never seen one in bloom. do you get fruit too?

you sure do stay busy!

keren