Continuing our drive, we would spot a tree we liked and shout, 'stop the car' and then one of us would jump out and check the tag to find out what kind of tree it was (and then we would consult the product list to translate the latin name into something more familiar and then check the price list and ...) and meanwhile JT kept yelling, 'I want to get out!' 'Where is the palm tree maze?' There wasn't a palm tree maze, but there were palm trees and palm trees and palm trees and bougainvilleas galore.
We also liked this cassia - a Cassia Slendida 'Golden Wonder' but I like the other better. Mr. Burli suggested this one for along the back fence, but I think maybe we should do some other screening plants. Perhaps a purple hopseed bush or two? I am having trouble imaging plants growing along the back fence. Any suggestions? At the moment we can see the back of the neighbor's house and while they are friendly*, i would prefer more plants. We forgot to look for a desert willow; we got sidetracked when the salesperson in the front recommended this 'desert museum.'
So, to wrap up, friends in North Park redid their backyard, and I am using it for inspiration. I would like a path like theirs with some plants growing around the flagstone (or - more likely - concrete stepping stones from HD since they are more affordable, but maybe replaceable at a later date) and some boulders. Er, no boulders, since we are not DINKS like they are. They have also redone most of the inside of their craftsman home and it is gorgeous. I try not to get too green with envy when we stop by to visit them. (He is also from Austria and they are very nice.)
* = they really are friendly. All week Mr. Burli has been getting up early to work on the deck. Because of the time change it has been too dark to work in the evening, and since he was up an hour earlier, he just went out. Well, Friday he went out even earlier than usual - he just couldnt' sleep - and at 6:15 or so started hammering. A voice called over the fence, 'No hammering before 8 A.M., and Mr. Burli, being somewhat hot-tempered, responded, 'Construction starts early!' However, he did stop and just worked on other things until 8. (I looked up the code and 'noisy construction noises' are allowed to start at 7, actually.) So, I made some sweet and spicy pecans, put them in a nice jar with a ribbon and dropped them on the backyard neighbors front porch to apologize. Then, that evening they rang our doorbell and laughingly explained that they weren't the ones complaining. Apparently she was outside with the dog and heard the exchange - it was HER neighbor (from the house behind our next-door neighbor) and she wanted to yell out, 'That wasn't us!' So, they offered to take my peace offering nuts to the other guy, but I demurred. I think I prefer that the nice neighbors get them.
5 comments:
P.S. That is their brown garage in the first picture of our friends' house and he (the other Austrian) is in the second, standing on the side of their blue/white house. Funny how he looks like Mr. Burli!
You folks are sure the busy bees these days and wearing many hats. I sure hope I can get out your way sometime in the future and see first hand all your work.
Love, Gma/gt gma
What makes a tree a "specimen tree"? Is it the size?
Those are some big trees you are getting! Good thing you are having them delivered. I wanted an espaliered apple tree for outside Lucas's window, but they were quite pricey.
Anyways, sounds like it's coming together nicely!
'just use your car as a shopping cart!'
i'm still laughing at this. and i had to look up espaliered the last time you used that word in a post.
i, on the other hand, bought a rake. well, technically, jordan bought a rake for the house. this is sum total of my outdoor work this fall.
i would recommend a fig tree (of any variety), preferably, one that you like (if you like figs...lol). They are drought tolerant, bear fruit early, grow big and leggy and would probably be fun climbing trees once they get a little bigger.
keren
Post a Comment