Saturday, October 18, 2008

More Pumpkins in the Dessert

Where did the week go? During September I couldn't wait for October, and now I feel like the month is slipping away much too quickly.
Today we went to Campo, a nearly deserted, dusty village East of SD (still in the county), where there is a private railroad museum. While the boys rode the "pumpkin train" out to a tunnel on the border of Mexico, I sat in the shade at the depot and graded my students' first assignments. Well, I tried to. I took me the whole hour to grade three. So obviously I am completely out of practice. Or my students just aren't too good at writing. I do feel I have to guide them in this process, and since they are all transfer students, I really want them to succeed- or at least learn the valuable skill of writing a coherent argument. Anyways, the train passed the depot, so I waved and hurried down the path to the exhibition hall, where the kids were picking out pumpkins to decorate.

This year the museum had a "haunted train" - JT and I waited outside, listening to Mr. Burli's screams as some teenagers jumped out to scare him. Then we looked around at the engines - JT was a little disappointed when Mr. Burli pointed out that the engine he admired was not the "Big Boy", the engine JT claims he will drive when he grows up. Next we headed outside and followed the dry, dusty path to the depot. On the way back, I admired these desert pumpkins - or perhaps they are melons. I hope no one minds that I picked one. I often see these or similar melons growing along the roadside in the desert and wonder how they grow so well without water - the area is very dry. In fact, last year, the day after we rode the train there was a massive wildfire in the area. This year there haven't been any scary fires - yet - but several small fires. In fact, Wednesday when Mr. Burli dropped JT off at his preschool, there was a detour, and it turned out that a small brush fire had started about a block from JT's school. Later I drove past and was glad to see that the blackened area was quite small - this is fortunate because there is a house not 50 feet up that hill.

Oddly, last weekend was quite chilly and the weekend before we had that (small) rainfall. That weekend (I am really behind on blogging, sorry.) started out warm - JT and I went to the Wild Animal Park before we went camping, etc. And then the weather at the pumpkin patch was cloudy and definitely autumn.

And after a birthday party in the park last Sunday, where JT tried to fly a kite and I shivered even in my sweater, he needed a hot chocolate and a hot bath to warm up. Of course - these two are best enjoyed at the same time!
So perhaps next week it will be warm again or cool. We'll see. I am curious to see how long it takes me to grade the papers and also to finish sewing the dinosaur costume. Just yesterday JT decided that he didn't want a tail after all. And what will he wear if it is 80 degrees - the material he picked out is fleece! So if you see a boy sweating in rainbow pajamas, be sure and ask the kid if he is really dressed as a t-rex.

3 comments:

Trina said...

Hot chocolate and a warm bath = brilliance!

As for the grading of papers, it is always hard to grade the first couple but you'll get back into the hang of things. Also, if it is their first assignment you can use it as an opportunity to show them what you're looking for in an argument. For example, show student a's paper that is outstanding and explain why vs. student b's paper, which is a bunch of jumbled up words put together in the attempt to make some sort of an argument or just have something to turn in on Monday. This is something I've done in class and I had professors do all the time in my intro classes. As long as the names are confidential and you've asked students for permission before hand (at least at school we have to), it is a good teaching tool.
Granted I don't know what the assignment was, but this is just a suggestion. With pointing out your expectations with tangible examples, you can't go wrong. At that point you've stated what you're looking for verbally, they've seen it, and you've practiced it in class. Three times/Three ways is the key.
Best wishes!

Steph said...

I, too, would like a hot chocolate in the bath! Our bathtubs aren't really adult sized, though, sadly. They're the shorter kind.

just jenn said...

i wonder if there's a pumpkin train around here? you guys sound busy. i'm looking forward to the tailless rainbow dinosaur.
hmph. i turned in something at work and got the dreaded "you need to use IRAC better". and because you really want to know how to write like a lawyer - that's Issue-Rule-Analysis-Conclusion. and i am terrible at it. now i think i need a hot chocolate in the tub!