In other news....
It has been quite hot here at Casa North Park, but luckily JT's friend O was back in town, which made JT one happy camper. The boys and their fathers went on a train outing, and then the boys misted themselves in the backyard. O even got to stay for supper and a bath.
Tonight the heat has finally abated, so I may actually get a few good hours of sleep in. JT is back at school this week, and I have ONE more lecture to go. But - yeah me - there will be no lecture. Instead, the students are working on group presentations! So I only have 20 essays to grade tomorrow, a multiple choice final exam to write (and give on Saturday at 8 in the morning!!!), and then I grade the presentations, the exam, and the take-home part of the exam. And then figure out how to make an excel sheet that will calculate the grades. THEN, I can take a break. I think JT and I will celebrate by going to Sea World one day next week. This morning, driving by, he said "I want to go to see road" - hmm. It frustrated him that I didn't immediately recognize "see road" as sea world. The fact that we were driving by should have clued me in, but I was thinking about the traffic jam. :)
Today the students in my class watched a movie showing spirit possession in Haiti - some Vodou rituals and ceremonies. I forgot to warn them about the animal sacrifice, but no one had to run out screaming. Then I got the question that I should have expected, but hadn't even occured to me: are the possessions fake?
That is an interesting question, and for anthropology educators, a question that shows that people are grappling to understand something out of the realm of their cultural understanding. What would you have answered? Or would you have asked the question as well?
3 comments:
Good luck finishing up the class! Maybe the question of faking is more common with special effects and digital manipulation making people more skeptical of videos? Would they have questioned M.Meade?
Isn't it nice to have friends over and party together? With several or with one, sounds like you all had a good time.
Hope the dreamer has sweet dreams tonight, and you too!
love, gma/momsie
Note of clarification: the film was footage from the 50s, and the student basically wanted to know if possession is a "real" phenomenon or do people just "pretend" to be possessed.
-from me
I'm still wondering if those people at Creflo Dollar's church were faking the speaking in tounges, or if it was "real."
What scary dreams JT is having!! I hope I don't have any attack of macaroni dreams!
Post a Comment