Monday, August 27, 2007

Day is Done

Today he used a new word: pretend. He was telling JK something or another about his friend O. and said, "I am O." No, he doesn't come home until today, he's at his grandparents, we told him. No, I O, he insisted [he tends to leave out the "am"] and then he added, I pretend O.
Later he told JK that he wanted ice cream in the bathtub. Again, confusion. You already had cake, so no ice cream. No, pretend, he insisted. (Pretend ice cream is pouring water and using the variously colored cups for different flavors.)
He has been pretending for quite a while, but now it is clear that he knows the name for this kind of activity. It was kind of neat.
So, here he is working at my office. I actually got in about an hour's worth of work in the 2 hours we were there. (Bathroom and tape interruptions took up a bit of time, as well as explaining what the workers outside were doing, "sharing" his picnic lunch on the floor, and telling him the names of all his marker colors.) And then later, we had a birthday party for Diego, who is not the brightest cat. For several days we have been forcing pills down his throat, but now we know, you just have to put the pills in the same bowl as a couple treats, and viola! He eats them voluntarily. :)
It wasn't really his birthday, but what the heck! (He wasn't even around during the singing of "Happy Birthday.") The cake was Chocolate Zucchini, but of course, I had to tinker and used white whole wheat flour, left out 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of sugar, and added some orange juice. JT used his hands to mix the dry ingredients and got a surprise when he tried to pour them into the wet. Flour in the eyes is not that pleasant.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, that looks good!

I can't believe how old JT looks with his hairstyle. It's quite the trendy look in the teen set, I think.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I just read about Clotilde Dusoulier and her Chocolate and Zucchini cake in the local paper.

http://www.mercurynews.com/food/ci_6686197

How was it?

Tim

Anonymous said...

What fun to 'pretend' and know that you can share it with others! He's a crafty little person, in more than one way! The cake looks good--did it taste good?
Have another happy day!
love, gma/momsie