My students begin their unit on Islam this week. I had to refresh my memory, and I am amazed at the things that I somewhat remember, but also about what has faded. And how come I don't know why the direction
I am more interested in history when I have to teach it. Maybe I should have the students take turns "teaching" section. Nah, they would just do "enough" - and I think we have different versions of what "enough" is. (Because I also only do "enough!")
On a child-related note, I now have co-op-ed at JT's school twice. It was exhausting. There were lots of kids running around, and JT was somewhat confused/excited to see me there and acted crazy. (I am blaming his behavior on my presence and hoping that really he does sit quietly and participate when I am gone... um, right.) One of the teachers asked me to enlist some children for a clean-up project (Go get Rissa, Ricca and Richard to clean those toys, she said.) But I didn't know which kids those were, and the ones I approached said, "NO!" Um, lack of authority. And besides, I didn't know what "wash the toys" meant - where the toys go, how much the kids are supposed to do, etc. But it turns out that "wash the toys" means put them in a metal basin of water and have the kids fling the dirty water at each other, then put the wet toys in a basket and put it in the shed. Got it. Ready for next time. (Although the clean up is still a mystery to me - the directions listed the cleaners for specific jobs, but I couldn't remember which was for what - none of the brands were familiar and most of them weren't neccessary, but whoever purchases them must be one of those "one cleaner for each job" types. Plus, right after I washed the sinks, more kids came in with paint all over their hands and thus - cleaning of the sinks should really occur AFTER the children leave. Which, however, would entail staying extra, and no parent or teacher wants to do that!) I think that I will send the hubster next time. I need a break again already. And a really large ice cream cone.

2 comments:
the "enough" concept is certainly a ubiquitous, although perhaps not exactly great, idea. i was reading an article about legal ethics today that said the model rules of ethics should set higher standards because too many attorneys only do "enough" ... that is one big ice cream cone!
Love the ice cream cone!
Co-oping sounds like a lot of work. Is the preschool less expensive since you have the volunteer requirement? Or is that considered a benefit? Just curious how it works.
Post a Comment