Last Thursday we picked up our third CSA box. Lots of greens. I mean lots. We have eaten a little more than half of those - kale, swiss chard, mustard and collard greens - (I braised a big pot Friday and another smaller batch today) and we have also finished the lettuce (we have plenty in our garden, too, so there are lots of salads in our futures), the tomatoes, the bok choy, half the icicle radishes and the fennel. I am not so sure that I can overcome my beet aversion this time. They might have to be sacrificed to the compost heap. Or maybe I will find someone who wants them. I haven't had any takers yet! (There is also a bag of sprouted peanuts, which taste pretty good on salads. There is also a bag of nettles. I haven't been tempted to take them out of the bag yet.)
That is about it here. We have become boring dull people. Actually, I was feeling horrible last Sunday (stomach flu-like but not really) and I still have some weird symptoms that don't equal anything I can think of (terrible bloating, abdominal pain, back pain, low fever), so I have been trying to take it somewhat easier. We did make it to the Air and Space Museum on Tuesday. And the library.
And today we heard that JT made it through the lottery procedure at the German school. (We are still waiting for our confirmation letter, but we heard our name was on the list. Apparently only 19 German speakers applied for the 20 spots, so there wasn't actually a lottery.) I suppose that is worth a celebration but really that makes another change in our lives more real.
But I think it will be good for him! He needs something to fill up his time and really wants to learn. And he is excited that his friends from the preschool will be there, too.
6 comments:
Ooh ah ouch--sounds like you ate too many weird greens! I'd take the beets, and I think ggma ate nettles long ago.
Goodness, but the boys are growing up fast! S smiling and standing tall, with those boys in matching outfits behind him--clever idea to get a back view. And J is up so high and looks so much older! Yes, I think he is ready for school; it will be a change of pace for the family.
Meanwhile, get checked out if you don't feel better--there's been some strange internal discoveries lately.
Hoping you all feel fine,
With love, momsie/gma
ok, that picture is exactly why i decided against trying to get into a CSA this summer (have to apply now if any spots are still open) - too many greens and later, too many tomatoes. what about chopping and freezing greens? i guess you'll just keep getting them. a friend made white bean soup last night to use up some of her kale. feel better!
That's a lot of greens. S is such a cutie!
Congrats on the German school!
Does JT have those dragon slip-ons from Payless? LT got them and loves them because his BFF has them. I think he must be the 4th kid we know with them. I will tell him that his fav cousin JT has them, too!
That's great news on the German school. How nice that you found out already!
PS. I love to see S standing like such a big kid!
what can you do with the nettles? make tea? don't know if you're into the whole juicing thing, but i heard that beets are good juiced up cause they add some sweetness...just hearsay...as i'm not a big fan of the whole juicing thing. lol everything else looked awesome. you should all be so healthy!
keren
No, I have never eaten nettles, but I took hold of a leaf just once to pull it off the plant, wondering what kind of tea it was. Not a good idea as I had a couple of prickly fingers for a little while. Red beets juice is good mixed in tomato juice and then add it to your chili soup.
Thinking of you and praying for a quick recovery.
Love, Gtgma
Post a Comment