Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I'm still not going to buy beets


More beets in the CSA box this week. I had to do something with them, since I still had the beets from the last box. So, I cut them up (surprise - half were white inside!) and roasted them with a little olive oil and sprinkled them with salt. They were edible, but I am still not going to buy them and will only eat them under duress (or if needed to finish the CSA box). Kale chips, on the other hand, were great. Torn into bite-size bits, the curly kale greens were tossed with some olive oil and roasted for about 10 minutes into crispy yumminess.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kale chips? sounds interesting--sort of like roasted spinach? Maybe you would like the beets if they were tiny and tender... or pickled? My superbowl broccoli dip didn't go over but it was pretty good repurposed into quiche. Food adventures--what a challenge to eat healthy!

Anonymous said...

Those were certainly anemic looking beets and would not have made pretty red beet eggs. I'm not familiar with kale but when I have had it in the restaurant I thought it had a bitter taste. I like cooked spinach much better.
Gma/gtgma

Anonymous said...

beets are highly edible blanched, with a little butter and jamaican spice. not sure what is in it...but it makes them taste delicious. of course, we always use the golden beets, not the red ones. you might give that a try?? what about borscht?

Anonymous said...

oops...last post re: jamaican spice was from keren...sorry i forogt my name on it.

:)

Chris said...

i think the white beets were chioggia beets. i am not fond of the pickled red beets and although the red beet eggs look nice, they have too much beet flavor. i think maybe i will try beets again with the Jamaican spices, if i get more AND i get up the nerve. (half of the roasted beets are still in the fridge. they just have enough of that 'beet' flavor to keep me from eating them.)

just jenn said...

what about beet cubes on an arugula salad with goat cheese - bitter greens and salty cheese to balance out the sweetness? i don't know. i can't eat them either. :)