Now we have some transition boards! And the swingset is back up and running and I have almost eradicated the backyard weeds of death. They weren't thistles but they were very prickly and painful to grip even with gloves and there was a huge patch along the back fence. The office/guest room is almost ready, and the bathroom attached to it (with a small shower, toilet, and sink) has been painted, so now Grandma can visit. (The light and fan need work still and supposedly the shelves were going to be green, but since it is almost midnight, I don't think that is going to happen today.)
Let me seee if I can answer other questions:
-the other couch we had at our blue house - it belonged to our landlords.
-the snail in the last picture was found at Mission Trails Regional Park where JT and I went for a short hike with a friend and her son.
-the grass really is deadish in the backyard and new watering restrictions go into place June 1st, so we may end up with a dirt patch. (The soil needs rototilling and flattening, it is quite uneven. That will be a project - along with planting trees - that will have to be done in Fall or Winter if we have a rainy season in SD this year.)
-the kitchen rug has some turquoise in it, so I was thinking maybe the curtains in a turquoise? I can't seem to find any kitchen rugs that aren't a. really expensive or b. aren't those small rubber backed ones with pictures of coffee cups on them. I would like one a bit bigger and machine-washable. I have kept the other one for now but may end up taking it back, too, because, maybe it would be better not to have a rug??
We have met some more neighbors and learned more about the house. Apparently the previous previous owners let it go downhill and when the last owner bought it, she spent "100,000 dollars" fixing it up, including removing pet stained and smelly carpet, new stucco, new roof, demolishing some outbuildings and concrete in the backyard, etc. I am glad the neighbors know this, but honestly, whoever she hired to do the work did a terrible, horrible job (I am guessing none of the hirees were licensed contractors, and if they were, they should no longer be in business), so it is hard to imagine how bad it must have been before. Hopefully the neighbor will send some pictures of the 'before' so we can compare.
(Edited to add: Well, we aren't using a licensed contractor either... but hopefully we are doing a good job. We do have a stake in the house, afterall...)
Baby news: no baby yet!
2 comments:
What is a transition board? (Should I know? :p)
Interesting to find out the house history. We ended up finding out a lot about ours because it was featured in a newspaper article in 1999 or so and a neighbor gave us a saved copy. We're family number 4.
I wonder how many have lived in your house? When was it built?
i bet you guys are doing a good job! don't forget to relax a little.
p.s. i met a neighbor @ a holiday party who mentioned that previous owners of our house used to cultivate certain green plants in the backyard. ?? we thought they were m0rmons.
Post a Comment