Should you measure the success of the day by how many times you had to turn the power off? If so, I think we were successful. And I have unearthed the monitor for the photo-file computer, so tomorrow I will get that set up and I can post some pictures of the many works in progress.
Just in case you are wondering, here are some of the things I have googled recently:
-manual for GE Triton dishwasher (it ran for 4 hours today and we finally had to cut the power to reset it)
- does missing rinse-aid dispenser cap matter? (still don't know the answer to that one - the house inspector burnt ours up when he ran the dishwasher that day)
- use of mesh tape to repair cracks in plaster (Mr. Burli likes the mesh tape, good thing that tip was in the paper last week)
- best shades for keeping heat out (looking for some insulated shades for the kiddo's room - so far the best value seems to be using a 20% coupon from b,b and b for one shade, then using another coupon for the other... any suggestions?)
- window treatments bay window (I bought the ikea dignitet curtain wire with 2 corner pieces. maybe not so fancy, but a cheap solution, I hope! However, now I will need curtains and rods or wires for the other three windows in the room... darn foreclosures - the owner took all the blinds except three. And also all the windows have been replaced with newish windows except for three - which are not originals but are from the 70s perhaps and have black interior frames rather than white. Does that make sense? Nope.)
- ikea futons (We need a bed for grandma! I think we will go with lycksele, since we have a small office/guest room with 2 doors - one to the hall, one to the smaller bathroom.)
- colors to match maple cupboards, granite counters (Due to a shopping fluke, we will be painting the walls in the kitchen 'raw linen' with white accents, and now i have to figure out a curtain, since my first choice was apparently too bland for the rest of the family.)
-cleaning ceramic tile floors (Any suggestions to get them nice and clean? The ones in the kitchen have deeper groves which are somewhat dirty looking. And of course, this being a foreclosure, there are no extra tiles - see below. I think I will try an oxygen bleach cleaner with my microfiber mop.)
And meanwhile I have also done a zillion searches on craigslist: small kitchen table, drop-leaf table, bentwood chairs, ikea futon, small shelves...
It has been a monumental task to put things away in this house because we used the built-ins at our old house for all sorts of things, but slowly everything is being tucked away. And JT seems to be happy, which is important, too! And of course, Mr. Burli is having a ball doing all sorts of projects. Tomorrow he is hoping to stack the dryer on top of the washer since today he rewired the outlet and set up the dryer vent. At the same time, he is also working on several other projects:
- fixing up the guest bath (removing some ugly tile backsplash, patching and then painting; he already fixed the closet flange, replaced the wax ring, put in new water hose thingee, added a U to the sink drain and removed the medicine cabinet for some reason)
- fixing all the cracks in the plaster in various rooms
- still building my morris chair (at woodworking class on Wednesdays)
- repairing the cupboards in the laundry room (including patching holes, replacing hinges and knobs and painting)
- repairing a giant hole in the tile in the kitchen (okay, he just put some plaster in it as a stop-gap solution; the cracks in several other tiles will remain for now)
- painting the kitchen
- fixing the dishwasher (Today he pulled it out and it was filthy underneath. He also turned the water heater back up - he had turned it down too low - so hopefully it will actually work tomorrow, or I will be back to googling.)
- (re)staining my sewing shelves (The dining room will also have a sewing corner, because there is just no where else for that.)
- setting up a storage shelf in the garage (Never enough storage space! And I try not to keep too much - Christmas things, for example, take up exactly one Sterlite storage box and one small hanging shopping bag.)
- possibly repairing the backyard sprinklers so we can have a little patch of green in the middle (It is already pretty brown, and water rationing starts June 1st... no outdoor fountain in my 'relaxation garden' in the front after all, sigh.)
- um, I am sure there are other things. I have to be careful what I mention, otherwise 5 minutes later that project is started, too....
So, next update there should be pictures.
Wishing all the moms out there a happy mother's day!
5 comments:
I am exhausted just reading this. LOL
thank goodness for the internet, eh? it seems so strange to think about where we could find out everything all at once before this existed. although i think it just used to be called "mom" - happy mother's day!
Hope you had a fine mother's day--you are really preparing the nest!
See you soon, love, mom
Wow, that is a lot.
Happy Mother's Day!
Oh, I forgot the rest of my comment.
Are you having 1 bedroom be the office? Or are there 3 bedrooms + the office?
So you are planning on having a sewing area set up at all time? I would like to see the pictures when it is done! No hurry!
I have a mobile sewing area - it is the dining room table, but when not actively sewing, the machine goes back in the cabinet. Works pretty well. O/W little hands would be in it all the time.
Well, and we couldn't eat dinner. :) Since we only have one table ...
Post a Comment