Friday, April 17, 2009

Strawberry Season


Last week, before we went to Pismo Beach, I made some strawberry jam. I just love strawberry season, and while I usually buy a flat from the strawberry lady at the farmer's market, I forgot to go and we bought them at the store - only a dollar a pound! Luckily I had a helper to cut up all the strawberries, although oddly, after 15 minutes of cutting, his bowl was still empty and he had suspiciously red -tinged lips...

And here are the finished jams cooling on my cool new canning towel! Thanks to J & J!
(My strawberries rise to the top of my jams - does this happen to you? I don't think it matters, but maybe there is a trick I don't know?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummmm yummy! Aunt N made some in Florida and hers floated too. I hear that if you let it set about 5 minutes after cooking, the berries settle more; did you skim the foam? Your berries were fresh, so it wasn't old dry spongy berries. I say just stir it up a bit and dig out a big spoonful and enjoy! It looks delish! And so does the boy chef!
He needs a chef hat!
love, gma/momsie

Chris said...

ah, yes. google suggests letting the jam cool for 15 minutes before pouring it in the jars. should have googled earlier. stirring works well, but i think the jam would look more 'professional' if the berries were more evenly distributed. perhaps next time!

Anonymous said...

you are so ambitious! i obviously missed the make your own clothes/can your own food gene that your mom passed down to you.

such is life!

keren