Monday, April 20, 2009

Just checking in.

Things are a little hectic here with packing, shopping for appliances, etc., but I jsut wanted to check in! The Santa Anas are back and today it is supposed to be hot, hot, hot here, so JT and I might hit the beach for a while.
JT is missing Auntie M. and is looking forward to grandma's visit. He only asks when she is coming, oh, ten times a day.
And here are the Easter eggs we dyed before our PB trip. We, er I, wanted to try natural colors this year, so after googling around, I determined that there are 2 main methods: boiling the eggs with the various foods to make the colors or boiling and then leaving the eggs in some mushy food substance for x amount of time. So we went with the second method because I didn't have enough pots to make multiple colors. We used turmeric for the yellow (very stinky according to JT, and I have to concur), spinach for the green (actually it came out dull greyish), strawberries and some leftover berries for pink (a very light brown), and red cabbage for blue (which worked the best). Although it was a neat experiment, I might opt for food coloring next time since a. you don't eat the shells anyways, and b. these were really smelly!

What else is new here? We had our meeting with the developmental behavioral pediatricians the other day, and that went really well. The doctors were all very nice, and JT enjoyed playing with them and getting 'interviewed'. He didn't want to be left in the room with them alone, but eventually both Mr. Burli and I could leave the room, and all went well until they tried to do a physical exam. The outcome was that, basically, he simply has a little more anxiety than other kids his age (which we knew) and we should just take things step by step. It was reassuring just to hear this and know that we had been doing some things right.


So, in the meantime we will continue packing here and if we do actually close this week as promised (!!!), we will be painting and and cleaning starting Thursday and moving on Sunday!

Here is your first sneak peek...

(The last time I drove by, some of those plants looked awfully brown - they must have been in too close contact with the termite tent which happened when we were out of town...

7 comments:

Steph said...

Oooo... it looks so nice! I love the Spanish style!

We had some plants die from the tent on our house.

Glad the dr's appt went well.

Anonymous said...

Aha, there's the door! Good luck with the move. And how did that boy get in the rabbit with the eggs? Magic? See you soon!
love, gma/momsie

Anonymous said...

How exciting to think you will have your own house soon. Be careful with the painting and cleaning.
And for next year red beets make pretty red eggs with out the shell and onion skins for yellow with the shell on.
Looking forward to seeing you this summer.
gtgma

just jenn said...

"just" checking in - sounds pretty busy to me? btw, i think a little anxiety runs in the family. all i'm trying to do is register for classes for my last year of school and i find myself irrationally upset/worried that Taxation I will not fit into my schedule. hmph.
please send us your new address (because we know everything is going to work out well, even if a few plants got browned by the termite tent)!

Anonymous said...

so excited to hear about your new house! it's a lot of work, but it will be well worth it.

keren

Trina said...

Oh la la! More pictures of that adorable house please - it has me drooling. Also, thanks for the update on the natural eggs. I had never thought of that. Sounds like you all were having a great time with some great visitors!

Sarah and Jack said...

Interesting to hear that they think he has an anxiety problem. A few months back Jack started doing yet another behavior that I found upsetting, and after much chatting with a girlfriend who is a does special ed, she said she thought his issue was anxiety.

We did some behavior mod stuff and it seems to have abated.