Monday, March 09, 2009

V-BAC or C-Section? You decide!

(Img: in the recovery room after baby JT was born)

As you know, JT was breech and I ended up with a c-section after attempting to birth him the regular way. Here is the short story: Don't ask how long I was in labor, because the whole thing was a medical circus and I don't know when to start counting. I went to the hospital in the morning to do a stress-test and was having regular contractions, then I was hooked up to a monitor where they decided that yes, I was having regular contractions (thanks for not believing me), then I went for an MRI to measure my pelvic bones (apparently they looked good) and after that I was admitted and strapped into a bed with all sorts of monitors and various tubes coming out of all parts of my body. Shortly before 4 am, the doctors decided to go ahead with the c-section, and voila! We were parents. Anyways, if you are still reading, I need to decide sometime in the next 4 weeks whether I want to go for a VBAC or a repeat (scheduled) c-section. (No, the baby is not due in 4 weeks, he should stay in there until the end of May, preferably with his head down.)
My doctor (not the same one as last time - that one didn't recognize that the baby was breech even though I specifically asked her why the baby's rear end was so hard at the top of my uterus) seems to be pushing for a c-section, and her reasons seem to include the fact that she has personally seen one or more uterine ruptures, the liability involved, the extra risks and fatigue associated with a c-section after a failed labor, and the fact that she has to be present during the whole labor (in other words, it seems like a VBAC would inconvenience her).
(Img: JT getting his pavlic harness to help his hip sockets form)

However, the risk of a uterine rupture, according to various medical articles, seem to be around 1% or less. Risks associated with the c-section are not given in percentages because it seems that many different things could go wrong, but the percentage of any single of these things must be less than 1% (I am guessing).
So, how am I supposed to decide?
Mr. Burli said he didn't like the cutting open aspect of the c-section and found it quite scary that JT did not breathe right away. Of course, even with a VBAC, there is no gaurentee that the baby will be fine and not be rushed up to the NICU.
I don't know know how much pain I can take (I have never gotten a tatoo, that sounds terribly painful!), and the c-section wasn't too bad in terms of pain. Honestly, putting the IV line in was the worst part. (Very sad, I know.) The recovery was, well, I recovered. I don't have anything to compare it to! I didn't drive for a couple weeks, didn't carry the baby car seat and didn't do too much for the first couple weeks, but then again, I was also tired and sore from breast-feeding, etc.
So, now my readers (I do hope you are in the plural!) have the chance to weigh in for this decision. Any suggestions? (Of course, please don't be upset if I don't end up doing what you suggest!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for V-BAC. If all goes wrong you can always go in for the c section...but it's worth a shot! Don't let your selfish doctor discourage you...it's probably not the most common thing, but in all the birthing books I've read it's very doable! Good luck :)

Steph said...

For me, I would do c-section. 1% is too high for me. But is it really 1% or is it less?

But it's really up to you. Many people really want to have the v-birth experience and it's very important for them to at least go for the vbac, and then even if they do end up needed a section, they know they tried. You know?

Do you know anything about your uterine scar? Did the incision have to be larger than normal b/c of the forceps? Was it stiched or stapled? That sort of thing... that may help you decide.

Either way, try not to let the doctor pressure you.

There's no right answer, which of course, makes it all the harder to decide!

Good luck on making the right decisions for your family!

Julia und Arnold said...

Dear Chris,
I'd agree with Kim - I believe it is worthwile wo try a V-BAC (f this means "natural birth" that is). We have some good friends who had fisrt a section and then - with the second child - had a wonderful and easy birth. Well, it also took me some weeks to recover (being able to sit again properly) although I didn't have a c-section. Another friend hat the full programm: the child also was upside down and they still tried a natural birth. When this didn't work out they sortoff pushed teh baby back inside and opted for a c-section. She wasn't too traumatized after all. And trust me: I am the worst with pain. I can't endure anything. But I thought that the birth was rather pleasant in an exciting way and not anything as painful as I had imagined it. Maybe because I experienced it as somehow "purpusful". A friend told me - before I was due - that I must always say to myself the mantra "The pain brings the child" which may sound silly but worked alright for me.

when are you due?
Love Julia

just jenn said...

i just wanted to leave my $0.02. Given my extensive personal experience, I ... oh what, wrong post for that!!!
I'd do what you guys decide is right for you.