Sunday, July 20, 2008

Take That, Processed Food Industry

Things said by my son at the grocery store:
"We can't get this - it has corn syrup and that is not good for your body."
"Is it still strawberry season? I don't think it is apple season."
"Is that on sale?"
Yes, I try and train him well. And even though he is an extremely picky eater (the only kind of pizza he claims he likes is "corn and broccoli pizza", for example), I would like him to make healthy choices. Thus, this picture of snack time at his preschool is funny - he appears to be saying NO to the Nutri-grain bar* - which is good, because those things, although called "Nutri" and "grain" are chock full of high fructose corn syrup and sugar.
Why do preschools insist on such food for the kids? Yes, I know they are on a budget and it is difficult to come up with snacks that are both nutritious and pleasing for the majority of the kids.
But at the last school he went to the kids ate pancake from a mix full of trans-fat and there was a giant can of applesauce sweetened with HFCS on the shelves. Applesauce sweetened? It is naturally sweet anyways. And some of the yogurts the kids are offered are also appallingly sweet . Since JT likes sweets, I like to save his sugar-ration for things like ice cream (preferably made with cream and sugar rather than HFCS), the occasional cookie or his all-time favorite - chocolate, rather than "waste" it on food items that are over-processed or fill him up without nutrition.
I've heard that the Waldorf school in SD has really good food for the kids - and they eat on real dishes with real cutlery and cloth napkins. After the meal the kids help clean up. Obviously this would not work at the German school - there is no kitchen for the kids to use, but in order to raise a healthier, food-wise and non-wasteful generation, wouldn't that be ideal?
(Or am I simply a bleeding-heart liberal middle-class pseudo-intellectual?)

*I didn't mean to imply that he didn't eat it because he thought it wasn't healthy - I am sure he didn't eat it because he is PICKY! In fact, he told me that evening that they had "bars with a soft fruit in the middle with a blue wrapper like we once had". And yes, I had bought these and Mr. Burli ate them once upon a time before I realized I should actually read the ingredients. (Mr. Burli would probably be eating them still if I hadn't stopped buying them.)

2 comments:

just jenn said...

well at least they are only using HALF a paper plate per kid, saving a least a small tree branch in the process. just an observation from the older, and thus more cynical, but certainly not wiser, pseudo-intellectual.

Mary Beth said...

I agree. I would love to send my kids to a Waldorf school with real food and real dishes. Those Nurtrigrain bars are high in calories and not filling at all! I'd much rather eat a slice of my homeade bread with my own freezer jam.