Tuesday, July 29, 2008

June Bugs


Auntie S. did a good job recapping the Legoland trip, so I will save a few pictures for another day when blogger is being more cooperative.

Today around lunchtime, I was standing in the office talking on the phone when the desk started shaking a bit. I thought, "Huh? Is the cat doing that? (He was lying on the desk looking out the window. I thought he was excited about a hummingbird on the feeder, but no, he was just doing an impersonation of a rug.) Or is the leg wobbly and just now decided to give out?" And I got all distracted from my conversation. Then Mr. Burli, sitting outside the window working from home yelled in, "Was that an earthquake?" So, I googled it and after a couple minutes our suspicions were verified. We just felt a bit of a shake, and I can't imagine the shaking or rolling people must have felt in Chino (by LA) at the epicenter. I think tomorrow I will stock up on emergency supplies. We don't have any bottled water on hand, and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to stock up on some canned goods, too. (JT did not notice the earthquake - he claims that because he was sitting on a blanket and cushion outside he couldn't feel it. )

In other news, the kiddo and I went to Costco today. Our first time ever. What a strange place. JT was excited about the educational DVDs we saw, the walk-in refrigerated room and the cakes. I delighted in the guacamole (supposedly 14 avacados per package, and those were 1.40 a piece on the next aisle) and ... well, the organic soymilk was cheap. But I don't drink soy anymore (I switched to almond milk quite a while ago), and since I heard that soy milk can also effect men, well, Mr. Burli will have to switch to almond milk as well. (With all the cheese and yogurt we eat, I don't think that either of us need extra dairy.)
In any case, I was not tempted to get a membership, especially since we have a smallish freezer and a smallish house - where we would put all those things? And would we really eat/use them?

Which reminds me - these scarab beetles (figeaters) really love the sunflower stalk. The flower itself bent over and broke, so I hung it in the backyard to dry (the head was probably 15 pounds) and each time I look the beetles are delighting in the stalk. Supposedly these guys eat ripe fruit (our non-edible figs, perhaps?) and burrow in the ground which is bad for the grass - which would explain our very sad backyard. But they are kind of pretty, so I can't bring myself to ... well, whatever I would do - throw the stalk in the trashcan? Pick them off one by one? (Most likely the grub-version of these are having a heyday in our compost pile...)

Edited Wednesday- since I got a spam. I have to be careful what I write!Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Posmena Sales said...

Here is a link for Underpants with Design Features to increase sperm count:
- here

just jenn said...

i heart costco. well, i used to heart costco, but then the fascination with giant packages of "stuff" wore off. there are some good deals, but it does require a lot of storage. the fridgerated room is best in summer.

i think those beetles would creep me out a little.

Steph said...

We just got a Costco card. I just, I don't know. It always gives me a headache.

I went today and bought: watermelon, cherries, clementines, spinach and muffins.

No giant boxes of anything, but it is a struggle to eat 2-1/2 lbs of spinach in less than a week. :D

There's just WAY too many people there and I'm not into the whole waiting in line forever thing.