Saturday, September 29, 2012

Still Reminiscing...

How can I not be done with our vacation series? How is it that I only today finished cleaning out my backpack from the trip? And yes, some of you may receive some goodies in the mail in the next week or so as I finally get around to mailing off your souvenirs  (Minus some chocolate that melted immediately upon arrival and the family deemed 'un-presentable' and ate.)

Did I mention the chanterelles? Maybe I even posted this picture?  Eierschwammerlgulasch - sometimes it is a cream based, this one was a more red-gulashy flavor. Delicious.
Tuna-carpaccio with a lemony dressing.
Hiking up Hochobir - a mountain in the Karawanken  range - one of the mountains Mr. Burli insists that all visitors learn to recognize (along with Klein Obir and Petzen.)
How can you go wrong on a hike that has cows?
And little flowers?
And some ruins? (I think it was a farmhouse that burned down at some point. Mr. Burli suggested we buy it , rebuild, and open a restaurant. Hmmm, not a bad idea, except that in winter this place is covered in snow and there is no road. (And it was cold when we got to the top.)
The views were magnificent.
One of the crosses at the top. The clouds started rolling in.)
A view to the valley. Perhaps the lake where Mr. Burli once almost swamped his motorcycle. (Don't tell him I mentioned that story - he was a young dare devil at that time - before I met him.)
Oh, and cows? There were some calves, too. JT wanted a picture of the baby nursing.
I am not sure where the cows were going but they came up the same path as us and wandered on.
These little gates keep the cows from wandering the wrong way.
Diner later that evening at a Bierbuschenschenke. A true micro-brew - they brew the beer at the farmhouse. This was the dinner for three adults (!!).
Austrian salad, another day.
 So, there are still some pictures to go through. And some pictures of routine stuff around here, too. (Did I mention that we had the hottest day in 24 years a couple weeks ago. Yikes. And October is one of the hottest months here, plus we have apple-picking to do, pumpkin farm visiting, Oktoberfest, the pumpkin express, costumes to make, a picnic for JT's class, gardening at the school, some kind of thing at the preschool... I am already exhausted thinking about everything. I hope you are busy, too, in a good way.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Trina said...

Oh yum! I think I gained a couple pounds just looking at your pictures and dreaming of lovely food. Just for the record, I would travel to a mountain top restaurant for a "burli" dinner...even in the middle of winter.

Anonymous said...

I agree with T! And the cow pix are great--Austrian cows are much rounder than African cows!
love, momsie

just jenn said...

if only eierschwammerl were always in season. also, chocolate is never truly unpresentable, but i hope it was tasty!

Stephanie said...

Delicious food pictures!