My grandma A. was always very quiet. When we would visit, my grandfather would sit in the recliner and watch a baseball game on the television. My mom and grandma would chat at the kitchen table and my sisters and I would play Clue or Lincoln Logs. Or we would flip through the Reader's Digest magazines (later in the large print edition) and then reach for the school yearbooks from when my dad and mom were young, laughing at the hairstyles, amazed at all the kids who had our last name or my mother's maiden name (names that are uncommon outside of my parents' hometown).For dinner there was always white bread with jelly on the table. I am sure we actually ate food, too, but I mainly remember the bread and jelly and of course the Pringles and 7Up (or Sprite?). I do remember that later the deserts came in low sugar versions for grandpa.
After we ate, we often played UNO at the formica table. Or if we were there in the afternoon, my sisters and I would take turns riding the bikes around town or jumping on the stumps in the backyard.
When my grandmother moved to Swiss Village, she became a pool shark: a slender, quiet woman with soft sweaters in pastel colors who won trophies.
She also continued to crochet, even when her eyesight began to fail. I have her afghan on my bed even now.
I will miss her.

5 comments:
Your Grandma was a neat lady. I enjoyed our many talks when I would wait on her table at work. I called her my third grandma. I am glad to have known such a nice lady. Sorry for your loss. She is missed a lot by many.
So nicely written. --momsie
What wonderful pictures and memories. Your grandmother was such a lovely lady; always with a kind word and smile.
i'm sorry you couldn't be there in person, but we thought of you often. and i think it was 7-up in the tall, green glass bottles!
Very sweet. I have those same memories! Loved the bread & jelly.
Post a Comment