Friday, December 05, 2008

One Week to Go

Only one week before we leave on our "vacation" to Austria. Only 3 piles of papers to grade by Tuesday (three because otherwise they would fall over - and yes, I did take a rolling duffel bag to school on Thursday to pick them up) and then the finals to grade after that. Only 1 quick jaunt to Mexico for Mr. Burli (work-related). Only 4 more days of school for JT this year, which he needs since he missed all but Monday this week - he had a fever Monday afternoon and Tuesday and while he could have gone back yesterday I made the mistake of mentioning to him that he would be going to the neighbor's house.


Today he was well enough to go to the Nikolaus party at the German school. He refused to 1. sit in the front and sing the songs with the other kids (well, he hadn't practiced and we were a few minutes late), 2. get within 10 feet of Nikolaus and 3. take the present when Nikolaus called his name (instead he cried on my shoulder). St. Nick comes tonight (always the night of the 5th) - JT lined up our shoes outside. I had to explain that Nikolaus was just visiting the school today and would be visiting all the children tonight, so that is why he didn't bring anything but candy for the kids. Tune in tomorrow for the results. And maybe I can get him to explain to my readers what the differences between Nikolaus, Santa Claus, and Christkind are. (One he is sure of as of tonight: Nikolaus rides in a car and Santa comes in a sleigh. Although this afternoon when I asked how he thought Nikolaus got to the school, he did guess that maybe he came in a sleigh and then walked part of the way.)

He was also well enough to sort the laundry into "dark" and "light", carry a load to the washer, put it in, put in the soap (I had to assist there since the soap is not accessible) and start up the washer. Now if only he would fold, too.

3 comments:

just jenn said...

sounds like a busy week for you guys. did Nikolaus leave something good in your shoes?

Steph said...

Can I get a lesson in the difference between between Nikolaus, Santa Claus, and Christkind?

I just remembered that I forgot to drop off JT's present at the post office today. I hope if I get it out tomorrow, he will get it in time!

Sarah and Jack said...

Hey Chris,

It was an accident when Jack broke the cloche. He was reaching for the Christmas cards and he knocked it over. He said to me later this afternoon that he had really tried to hold onto it as it was falling, "but mommy, you shouldnt have that big jar upside down." Le sigh.

And trust me, I do way more than my share of googling about is my kid normal. LOL