Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Loves Sand, Scared of Sharks
I have been feeling sort of down lately and this sinus-cold-earache thing I have is not helping. But it is great to live here in San Diego, where we can get out nearly everyday. Friday the kids at JT's preschool put on a little mother's day performance. The invitation said to come for "tea" - and as the good Germans that they are, there wasn't just tea, there was coffee, chocolate milk, water, bagels, jams, cream cheeses, "Quark", nutella, muffins, brownies, cookies, cake, strawberries and bananas. Wow. It was definitely a "Kaffee und Kuchen" thing. I remember the lovely afternoon tea we always had at the S. family in Germany (my host family when I was an exchange student approximately a million years ago) - we always had a delicious tea served in a glass teapot with little votive candles underneath to keep it warm, chunks of rock crystal-like "candied" sugar, and some chocolates or cookies or other sweets. What a great way to unwind in the afternoon.
We don't need tea here, but it is great to have at least some time outdoors. Saturday we went to the beach. His three-year-old-ness prevents him from even touching the water (it's too cold and besides - a shark or a crocodile might eat him!), but he does love the sand. It must be a tactile experience, because he practically swims in the sand. And later I find mountains of sand around the house that were hiding in pockets and hems.
He also loves to make obstacle courses in the backyard. And today I showed him how to build a fort with some large tableclths and our patio chairs. We lounged on the couch cushions and ate supper on the lego table under the orange ceiling. It was great. And we even put up our sign, which he dictated, "Nobody come in our house. If it is our birthday, you can come in!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
better not tell him about the landshark. ;-p
Post a Comment