We are still sick here at the Burli-house. JT played very nicely with his friend, N, today, who we won't be seeing for a while because his mom took a job and found new babysitters. But that is a different story.
Afterwards, JT took a nap, woke up after 30 minutes and laid in his bed for a while by himself (!) and then finally feel asleep on my lap, where we proceeded to nap for 2 additional hours! When we woke up, he had a fever, and so maybe tomorrow we will go to the doctor, since maybe his fluid in the ears is progressing into an ear infection. We'll see. I am not a fan of going to the doctor only to have them say that it is a virus, and they can't do anything. At least give us some sugar pills! (The sticker for the child is nice, and free coffee for the adults would help relieve some of the pain, too.) If I had a nifty otoscope, then I could look in his ear myself, not that I know what the fluid behind the eardrum looks like (and the pictures of a normal tympanic membrane I googled were kind of gross).
I just read somewhere the other day (in one of my mother's magazines she left perhaps?) that the ubiquitous tubes doctor's inserted in kids' ears in the 80s were probably overused. (They are still needed for many kids.) [I just checked JAMA, and that is true.] Luckily, JT hasn't had an ear infection yet, so maybe he will recover quickly and that will be the end of that. Besides, at the moment he doesn't have any of the risk factors for chronic ear infections: daycare, not breast-fed, second-hand smoke, allergies and sleeping prone.
Apropos sleeping, it is that time again.
1 comment:
How's he doing? All better, we hope!
Post a Comment