Sunday, October 04, 2015

Life Phases

I used to find it really annoying when people would talk about the phases of life that were yet to come... as if whichever phase I happened to be in was just fleeting and temporary when it FELT so tedious and relentless.
Well. I guess there is something to be said about reminiscing about times past. We are now in the phase we could call constantly-running-on-half-empty or always-carpooling-and-washing-dishes or maybe even stop-bickering-all-the-time! We don't even have that many after school activities, but somehow each week slips by so quickly that we need a three day weekend to catch up. And three day weekends are rare.
So anyways, I have posted some on FB and IG but not here. I wish I posted here more because it is fun to look back and see what has been happening in our little safe corner of the world.
So let's see... Phinny is 2 1/2 and has a great squished up smile when he is happy. We are working on using the potty consistently, but he insists he does not like Angie's (daycare) potty. He also does everything his brothers do, so he asks to play "Minecraf" several times a day, has fallen off the top bunk (no injuries) and can ride his pedal-less bike and a scooter. If you slip and call him Sweetie, he will say, "I'm not sweetie, I'm pumpkin." Some days he has said this at least 10 times, but mostly I remember now.


The big kid is a mini-teenager. Or tween, I suppose. He wants his own phone and is addicted to a game called agario. He also does his homework nicely and can entertain the other 2 as needed if there is an incentive involved. He started youth soccer, and enjoys the practices and games much more than baseball - so much more action!


Sammy is 6. And he is very different than his brother. He can be silly and not listen and annoying and then all of the sudden he disappears with a book and you won't hear a peep for an hour to two. Then suddenly he is crafting a train out of cardboard boxes or assembling a Lego coin-transporting submarine. And then he is annoyingly silly and dancing around saying poop. Good times.



And speaking of phases... I got a new rug for the living room. I found it at a garage sale - a total fluke, we just happened to drive by. Now I just need a new couch. The futon mattress is wearing out. Then again, the kids can not seem to abide by the no food in the living room rule, and Phinny spilled 3 drinks today, so I guess we will wait.


So that is a start. There is a lot to catch up on.
What was dogsburger posting about?
Reading: I read Michel Faber's Book of Strange New Things. It was a great book. It also made me want to reread The Sparrow. I keep trying to read non-fiction, too. I picked up a book on the evolution of the foot. I'll try to get my toes wet on that tomorrow. Ha-ha.
Eating: granola. Plain. Dry, While I am typing this.
Running: Not too much. My heel started to hurt, Then I started limping a bit. I tried jogging and it doesn't hurt too much, but the morning after I played soccer last week, I couldn't even walk on that leg, so I am trying to rest the foot except on soccer and futsal days!
Planning: I need to get the fall garden started! Halloween costumes! Continue organizing the house and my life.
Maybe I should get to bed earlier, too.

4 comments:

just jenn said...

here's to three day weekends - after all, next monday's columbus day! (no, i do not have the day off. and thank goodness, neither does my therapist) (sigh)
it's interesting how different, yet similar the boys are - i bet gma felt the same way about us?
and i think that new rug is a rather nice new phase!

just jenn said...

p.s. the fourth category is relaxing, not planning. pshaw. but if you want to plan a trip that includes both me and y'all and salzburg next year... i can be your relaxed participant. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are the times to look back and say--We did all that? How? And some days we wish for a bit to have those challenges, just a bit! Definitely you all were and are unique individuals, all loved for being you. And on into a new generation ...momsie

Unknown said...

And a note from another generation. How true each one is different and special in their own way. So many good memories and they are so comforting at this time in my life.
Love you all, Great grandma and sometimes it's GG.