Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This, that, chickens and food trucks

As I am writing this, I am looking out the window at our chickens in the yard. They have flown over the plastic fencing I put up to keep them in the "barnyard" behind the garden. So last week a skunk uprooted several of my carrots and now the chickens will peck the leaves off the little guys. I tried clipping Fluffy's feathers to keep her from flying up so high. It didn't work, she can still fly up to the top and then down. (She doesn't tend to fly herself back in, however.)

In non-chicken related news, we went to the North Park Christmas parade... highlight of the parade (for me, anyways), were the food trucks. I have never seen a food truck in a parade, but what a great idea! Supposedly they set up over on a side street afterwards, but I was still sick and we opted to eat at the Mission.

We also stopped by Art Produce which is a tiny gallery. My friend, Terry, had an exhibit about the oil industry in Huntington Beach and how the city leaders choose to emphasize the town's surfing history rather than the oil history. Playing on that idea, she made these 'floats' that kids could parade along this low table, a 'gift shop' of oil-related souvenirs and the kids sang oil related songs. It was fun.





And then we met the artist who designed the frog park in NP - one of the best playgrounds (but sadly under-appreciated by the crowds of people who play and hang out there and leave behind all sorts of trash) around.





Our friend Rachel came over afterwards to play with JT and Tiny.

Or perhaps to play with the chickens...

Speaking of which, I must go round them up and out of my garden! (No eggs yet, by the way, and supposedly when they get a little bigger (a couple weeks), they will be too heavy to fly over the fence. We'll see!)



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BIG chickens! Maybe we will see eggs?
momsie

Steph said...

Is that gallery open over Christmas break? Look fun. Don't forget we also NEED to go to that bakery. (Of course!)

just jenn said...

I can't wait to meet the chickens (by which, I mean visit with the family, of course)!! Sorry it won't be this week.