Friday, January 22, 2010
Our First CSA Box!
In a lull in the rains, I picked JT up from school and we headed to North Park to pick up our first CSA box. Part of my New Year's resolution to "eat more vegetables" (I know, this is my resolution every year), it was finally time. When I had wanted to join years ago, Mr. Burli claimed that we wouldn't be able to eat everything, so now my challenge is ... to eat it all. We got a cabbage, a spaghetti squash (not quite ripe but picked before the rains would have gotten it), red chard, red and green leaf lettuce, 2 bulbs of fennel, some kind of kale, red carrots, spinach, sweet peas, beets, celery, zucchini, micro-greens. sage and oregeno. Last night we ate the beet greens sauteed with some onion and garlic. Very tasty. I do not like pickled red beets, so I am curious to see whether I will like the beets in whichever manner I end up cooking them.
From our garden, we have had some radishes and a few leaves of mesclun lettuce, our micro-greens were eaten by cabbage worms, and I also picked some sweet peas.
Supposedly the drenching will continue on again today. Last night we had lightning! and thunder!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I was talking to a friend of mine about a CSA program and I had no idea that the Burli bunch was participating in one. Please continue to update us on the experience!
Quick question - have you ever made Roman shades? I'm in the middle of a project with Mom and have a couple of questions if you have any experience. Thanks.
wow. recipes are coming? that was my biggest challenge with CSA - what to do with veggies that were either unknown or not particularly liked. :)
completely unrelated, but for the fact that it's a recipe - i have a pasta sauce that was good: tuna, green olives, tomatoes & fennel seeds. who knew?
regarding beets, i love the yellow ones and we peel them, cut them in larger julienned pieces, season with salt, pepper, butter and a little jamaican spice...it's delicious. might work on the red ones too.
keren
Post a Comment