| [Giant sunflower, now disposed of, and one of the cool wild parrots that feasted on our sunflowers all July!] |
JT starts school in a week.
I had a miserable first class. But all in all, I actually felt okay at the end of class, even though I was 20 (yes, 5 minutes over the 'academic quarter-hour) minutes late. And yes, I had been told to come early. However, I thought 45 extra minutes should be okay. Nope. I panicked in the car while sitting at the exit (the normally 13 minute drive took a good 45 minutes and then I had to find parking) and called the office and had them tell the students I was on the way. Of course, I didn't have time to pick up the syllabi or set up the computer. And then I tried to get the computer to work while the students
Meanwhile, JT has been busy with Legos. Luckily he can entertain himself with his power miners for quite a while. He also likes to watch youtube reviews of the products. Today he made one. I will have to post it later this week.
Tiny likes to torture the cats. Well, cat. One of them runs away. He climbs in the closet where they hide out, climbs in Diego's favorite chair with him, etc. Mostly he is tolerated. (If they feel threatened, they just skedaddle.) We are working on gentle petting, but he just loves those kitties.
July has been all about the garden = zucchinis and tomatoes. We have eaten: zucchini fritters, grilled zucchini, pan-roasted zucchini, zucchini chocolate chip cookies. savory zucchini bread (see above), zucchini chocolate cake, more grilled zucchini, zucchini risotto, ... The little orange tomatoes I prefer to eat cut in half, sprinkled with finely chopped jalapeƱos and onion and squeeze of lime juice - they are sweet and make a nice salsa-y side dish thing. The big "Mr. Stripey" tomatoes made a nice BLT and end up in cooked dishes. I prefer not to eat them straight up, since I am not a fan of big meaty tomatoes. But it has been fun growing them!
One of these days our watermelons will be ripe - I can't wait.
Let me know if you have any other favorite zucchini recipes. I have 2 more giant zucchinis to shred and freeze still and perhaps a few more to harvest before I plant my first batch of winter crops!
Winter? It is hot, hot, hot here. Summer has finally hit San Diego. And of course my class tomorrow is in an un-air conditioned room. Should be interesting! Let's just hope that the technology works...

5 comments:
I was wondering how it went...what an adventure? Have fun--once you have the logistics settled, the students will be lucky to have such a caring, natural-born teacher!
Hi to the family!
love, momsie/gma
It sounds like it went alright considering. :) I am looking forward to the lego review!
Good Luck teaching your class! I am jealous that JT gets to start school next week. I was not ready to go back today.
I like Sponge*b*ob's friend Patrick. Don't ask why i know this. oh, and... i would totally have waited for you to show up to teach. Yeah! adjunct! :)
Nice pic of lighthouse header!
momsie
Post a Comment